The School Board met on Monday, February 9, 2015, for its regular monthly meeting.
Assistant Superintendent Griff Carmichael reported on the student/teacher ratios. He stated that all schools are in compliance with class size as mandated by the Standards of Quality.
School Advancement Update
Mrs. Dawn Tucker, Instructional Technology and School Advancement Leader, reviewed the “Plan on a Page” for STEAM, which is STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) plus Art. STEM Coordinators Jackie Ovalle, Jessica Sarver, Tori Gelbert and Jessica Gooch also discussed assignments/projects and provided some examples of student work. Fourth grader Anaka Ovalle demonstrated one of her projects for the Board.
Mr. Nelson, Chairman of the Board, announced that after 22 years of service, he will not run for re-election this November.
Presented to the Board as Information:
- The Madison County Board of Supervisors agreed to a delay in the Boards submission of the 2015-16 budget. Adjustments to the budget will be made once the General Assembly has adjourned. This will also provide time to receive information regarding possible changes in health care costs. Approval will be requested in March.
- Requested guidance on how the Board would like to proceed with replacing teacher computers at MCHS.
- A replacement phone system for the division has been identified and will be presented for action at the March meeting along with project timelines.
Approved by the Board:
- Approved the request to ask the County for a supplemental appropriation of $199,388 in funds not spent from the 2013-14 budget. Approximately $90,000 will be spent on the new phone system and the balance to be added to the MCHS/WMS renovation project contingency fund.
- Approved LUMOS as the vendor to supply internet and Wide Area Network services for MCPS, contingent upon receipt of E-Rate program funding over the next three years.
- Approved Advanced Network System (ANS) as the vendor of choice from which to purchase a Local Area Network Hardware upgrade, contingent upon receipt of E-Rate program funding over the next three years.
- Approved to use a consent agenda for the approval of minutes, claims, and personnel items for future Board meetings.
- Approved personnel to include one appointment, eleven substitute appointments, one substitute re-appointment, and three coaching stipends.
The next School Board meeting is scheduled for Monday, March 9, 2015, at 7:00 p.m.