The School Board met on Monday, May 11, 2015, for their regular monthly meeting.
Prior to the meeting, the School Board officially unveiled the Katherine Johnson Gymnasium at Madison County High School. The Board also hosted a reception for the nominees for the Teaching-Learning-Caring awards.
The School Board recognized the following:
- Recognized Jimmy and Rachel Graves/Graves’ Mountain Lodge for their induction into the 2015 Business Honor Program from the Virginia School Boards Association. The Graves family was recognized for their ongoing support of our schools.
- Recognized the following student athletes in Swim and Wrestling: Swim: Ben Dillon, Kimmie Dillon, Claudia Gohn, Jeana Grace Kelliher, Kara Morgan McHaney, Dale McNamara, Christine Mullen, and Rosemarie Mullen; Wrestling: Dylan Berry, Gabe Farmer, and Jalyn Simms.
- Recognized the following nominees for “Teaching-Learning-Caring” from each school.
The names listed in bold were selected as the school’s representative in each category. Out of the nominees for “Teaching-Learning-Caring,” Mary Davis was selected as “Teacher-of-the-Year.”
Madison Primary School
|Martha Clements||Cora Chlebnikow||Patty Butterworth|
|Beth Dickey||Martha Clements||Martha Clements|
|Brenda Lyddane||Beth Dickey||Mabel Twyman|
Waverly Yowell Elementary School
|Patrick Jennings||Lila Azhari-Harris||Rebecca Bader|
|Pam Snead||Kim Dodson||Nicole Keys|
|Brittney Wright||Abbie Jewett||Kim Knighting|
|Jessica Sarver||Marty Ward|
|Becky Weigle||Brittney Wright|
William Wetsel Middle School
|Christy Black||Christy Black||Taylor Aylor|
|Tori Gelbert||Tori Gelbert||Misty Kolb|
|Misty Kolb||Jared Morris||Pam Nelson|
|Devin Milbourne||Janine Rowson||Erin O’Leary|
Madison County High School
|Mary Davis||Jeanette Alexander||Michelle Farmer|
|Phil Nobblitt||Mary Davis||Phil Nobblitt|
|R.J. Nobblitt||Phil Nobblitt||Jenette Reyes|
|Jenette Reyes||Jenette Reyes||Gail Temple|
Presented to the Board as information
- Recommended that the school division remain in the Albemarle Regional Migrant Education Program for the 2015-16 school year. Approval will be requested in June.
- Ryan Campbell, Director of Technology, provided an update on the new telephone system.
The following items were approved by the Board
- Approved the request for new textbooks for Spanish and French, grades 7-12.
- Approved the 2015-2016 School Calendar. Copy is attached and located on the division website.
- Approved the Special Education Plan for 2015-16.
- Approved a Memorandum of Understanding between Madison Parks and Recreation Authority and the Madison County School Board regarding water/sewer needs at Hoover Ridge.
The next School Board meeting will be held on Monday, June 8, 2015, at 7:00 p.m.