The Madison County School Board met on Monday, June 8, 2015, for its regular monthly meeting.
The School Board along with the Madison Garden Club recognized 4th grader Joey Johnson, for winning the National Garden Clubs’ Poetry Contest which is open to youth from Kindergarten through 9th grade.
The School Board recognized the following retirees for their service to Madison County:
Karen Allen – WYES Principal – 40 Years
Teresa Aylor – MPS Teacher – 27 Years
Cindy Beeler – WYES Teacher – 25 Years
Hiram Blakey – Bus Driver – 14 Years
Geneva Brock – MPS Teacher – 35 Years
Betty Sue Camper – Alt. Ed. Coordinator – 34 Years
Raymond Carpenter – Bus Driver – 41 Years
Donald Hitt – MCHS Teacher – 33 Years
Shirley Knotts – MPS Instructional Assistant – 29 Years
Carol Nowakoski – MCHS Teacher – 33 Years
Dianna Rutherford – WYES Custodian – 19 Years
Mabel Twyman – MPS Instructional Assistant – 30 Years
Winnie Weaver – WMS Instructional Assistant – 21 Years
Virginia Whetzel – Bus Driver – 34 Years
Presented to the Board as information:
- Recommend that the School Board consider a lease-purchase agreement in order to purchase new band uniforms. Uniforms would be received in October with the first of three payments due in January 2016.
- Recommend that the School Board consider updating videos for the 5th grade Family Life Education.
- Recommend that the School Board consider adopting School Board policy BBBB: Student Representative to the School Board. Also discussed options on how to select a student representative.
- Recommended Updates to School Board policies were moved to the July School Board agenda for information.
The following items were approved by the School Board:
- Approved the request for MCPS to remain in the Albemarle Regional Migrant Education Program for the 2015-16 school year.
- Approved the request for the Madison County School Board to participate in the Virginia School Boards Association Policy Services for a term of one (1) year, and renewable for four (4) additional one-year terms at the original contract fee.
- Approved the Federal Plans for Title I – Improving Basic Instructional Programs and Title II – Teacher Quality and authorized the Superintendent and staff to file the applications.
- Approved Mr. Griff Carmichael, Assistant Superintendent, as the Superintendent’s “Designee” and authorized to sign all Virginia Department of Education reports, documents, requisitions, and other official correspondence, as needed, in the absence of the division superintendent for the 2015-2016 school year.
- Approved the out-of-district tuition rate for the 2015-2016 school year.
- Approved the request to declare the 3-Com telephone equipment as surplus and donate to the Madison County Government.
- Approved a resolution honoring the Madison Literacy Council as part of its 30th anniversary serving Madison County.
- Approved the Virginia High School League Membership Application for the 2015-2016 school year and authorized the Board Chair to sign.
- Approved the request to change the close-out meeting from June 25 as previously approved, to a Board meeting on June 30, 2015.
- Approved personnel items to include: 8 appointments, 10 resignations, 1 reappointment, 1 retirement, 1 sponsor contract, and the summer school teacher appointments.
As part of the personnel items, Superintendent Eberhardt announced the appointment of Joe Kubricki as the new principal for Waverly Yowell Elementary School. He also thanked Mrs. Allen for her years of service to the Madison community. Superintendent Eberhardt stated he has been blessed to be working with Mrs. Allen the past five years and that it has “truly been an honor.”
The next School Board meeting will be Tuesday, June 30, 2015, at 8:30 a.m.