The School Board met on Monday, November 9, 2015, and discussed the following:
Dr. Eberhardt and Board members recognized employees of Madison County Public Schools who are veterans. Appreciation was expressed for their service to our country and their willingness to serve. The following individuals were recognized: Noel Guarino, U.S. Army; Jim Nelson, U.S. Army Reserves; Joe Parker, U.S. Navy – Submarine Service; Fred Rankin, U.S. Air Force; Andrew Schmaltz, U.S. Army Reserves; and Amanda Storvick, U.S. Air Force.
The Board also recognized family members who have served or are currently serving in the Armed Forces. They are: Robert L. Kerstiens, Anthony Ovalle, Wayne Ellison, Edward P. Burak III, Harold Harris, Jr., Lamont Breckenridge, Judd Brockman, James Young, Mark Farmer, Kedric Chambers, Geronima Chambers, Larry Chambers, Kyle Chambers, Jeremiah Patterson, and Keith Paramore.
School Board Members – Elect
Chairman Nelson congratulated Karen Allen and Bob Chappell on their new positions as School Board members, effective January 1, 2016.
2015-2016 Instructional Plan
Mrs. Tina Weaver, Director of Teaching & Learning, presented the 2015-2016 Instructional Plan. She stated that the follow areas of growth will be pursued:
“Specifically, all schools are expected to:
- Acquire knowledge of every child.
- Manage resources and lead teams of professionals around clearly defined, meaningful instructional expectations.
- Expand a culture of high quality, meaningful formative and summative assessment.”
Mrs. Weaver also reported that the major focus of each school has an emphasis on RTI, higher thinking skills and Project-Based Learning. For a full report, please visit our division website.
One School, One Book
Waverly Yowell Elementary School Instructional Coach Jessica Sarver presented a video of WYES students celebrating One School, One Book. This year’s book is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.
Mrs. Shelby Gohn, Director of Assessment and Accountability, presented the revisions to the Virginia accreditation ratings, which became effective October 8, 2015. The new ratings are:
- Fully Accredited
- Partially Accredited: Approaching Benchmark-Pass Rate
- Partially Accredited: Approaching Benchmark-Graduation & Completion Index
- Partially Accredited: Improving School-Pass Rate
- Partially Accredited: Improving School-Graduation and Completion Index
- Partially Accredited: Warned School-Pass Rate
- Partially Accredited: Warned School-Graduation and Completion Index
- Partially Accredited – Reconstituted School
- Accreditation Denied
Mrs. Gohn reported that Madison Primary School & Waverly Yowell Elementary School are “Partially Accredited: Warned School – Pass Rate,” warned in English and did not meet all Federal AMOs.
Wetsel Middle School is “Fully Accredited,” however, did not meet all Federal AMOs.
Madison County High School is “Fully Accredited” and did meet all Federal AMOs.
The following item was presented to the Board as information:
- Updated regulation for GCL-R: Professional Staff Development Personnel Regulations. The regulation is effective today, November 10, 2015.
The following items were approved by the Board:
- Updated policies for BDD: Electronic Participation in Meetings from Remote Locations; DI: Financial Accounting and Reporting; DJF: Purchasing Procedures; GBE: Staff Health; GBL: Personnel Records; IKFA: Locally Awarded Verified Credits; IL: Testing Programs; and JHH: Suicide Prevention.
- As part of the consent agenda, approved personnel to include 1 appointment, 2 substitute appointments, 1 retirement, 2 sponsor stipends, and 3 coaching stipends.
The School Board members will be attending the Virginia School Boards Association annual conference in Williamsburg, VA on November 18-20, 2015.
The next School Board Meeting is scheduled for December 14, 2015.