The Madison County School Board met on Monday, January 11, 2016, for its first meeting of 2016.
Reorganization of the Board
Chairman of the Board: Barry Penn Hollar
Vice-Chair: Doreen G. Jenkins
Representative to the Piedmont Regional Education Program (PREP): Doreen G. Jenkins
Alternative Representative to PREP: Robert T. Chappell
Representative to the Blue Ridge Virtual Governor’s School Board: Joseph E. Parker
Clerk of the Board: Liz Patterson
Deputy Clerk of the Board: Tina Cropp
Regular meetings for 2016 will continue to be held on the second Monday of each month; however, they will now begin at 6:30 p.m. The Board will immediately go into a “closed session” to discuss any personnel items that will be up for approval. The Board will come out of closed session no later than 7:00 p.m. to begin the regular meeting. Historically the second meeting of the month was held on Wednesdays, they will now be held on Mondays.
The following meetings were changed:
- The public hearing was changed to February 1, 2016
- The budget work session was changed to January 25, 2016, to begin at 6:00 p.m.
- The work session scheduled for March was changed to March 21.
Heard several public comments regarding a proposal for a community-supported safe driving campaign for new drivers. Also heard comments from a service dog provider.
Presented to the Board as Information:
Dr. Eberhardt and Ms. Tina Cropp presented the proposed 2016-2017 school budget. The significant changes were:
- Requesting a 4% average salary increase for all staff
- Cover all VRS increases
- Cover any additional costs for health insurance
- Add one position as allowed by the Governor’s budget with increase state revenue to cover the cost of the position
- Increase the amount set aside for sub pay
- Increase all academic and athletic supplements
- Include supplements for dual enrollment teachers based on courses taught
2015 VSBA Annual Conference
Board members shared their thoughts regarding a few of the sessions/topics they attended at the conference in November.
Approved by the Board:
- All school board members approved and signed the Virginia School Boards Association (VSBA) Code of Conduct for School Board Members.
- Approved an FY15 Textbook Funding Transfer and supplemental appropriation request for the PBIS grant.
- Approved two overnight trips for forensics.
- Monday, January 25, 2016, 6:00 p.m. – School Board Budget Work Session
- Monday, February 1, 2016, 7:00 p.m. – Public Hearing on the Budget, MCHS Auditorium
- Monday, February 8, 2015, 6:30 p.m. – Closed Session
- Monday, February 8, 2015, 7:00 p.m. – Regular Monthly Meeting