The Madison County School Board met on Monday, February 8, 2016, for its regular monthly meeting.
There were no public comments on the 2016-2017 proposed school budget.
Heard a parent complaint regarding an issue with her child.
Madison Primary second grade teachers presented information regarding Project-Based Learning. The teachers provided an overview of the most recently completed project (Native Americans) and brought several projects to share with the Board.
Presented to the Board as information:
- The Superintendent stated the budget work was on-going and was continuing to monitor what is being discussed in Richmond. Originally budgeted was an average of 4% salary increase across the board. Additional information will be presented at the Feb. 16 work session regarding step adjustments for teachers plus a 3% salary increase. Salary scales for classified positions are being reviewed /discussed as well.
- The Board’s work session on March 21 will center on goal development. Exact meeting times will be set at the February 16 work session.
- The Board discussed a desire to have a School Board representative to sit on the Leadership Team. The Superintendent will poll the Leadership Team members to see if they want a member of the School Board to be a silent observer at the meetings. Results will be discussed at the March 21 work session.
Approved by the Board:
- Approved School Board Member Karen Allen to be the representative to the Piedmont Regional Education Board (PREP). Allen will replace Mrs. Jenkins who requested to step down from that role.
- Approved School Board Member Bob Chappell to be the representative to the Board of Supervisors.
- Approved a VSBA resolution opposing a constitutional amendment to divest local school boards of the sole authority to approve charter schools.
- Approved a resolution to support the Governor’s budget.
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 6:00 p.m. – Work Session – School Board Office
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 7:00 p.m. – Public Hearing – School Board Office
- Monday, March 21, 2016 – Work Session – School Board Office – Time to be determined.