The School Board met on Monday, April 11, 2016, and discussed the following:
2016 Student Art Show – On May 26, 2006, the Madison County School Board celebrated the grand opening of the Student Art Gallery at the Administrative Office. Each year at least four pieces of art from each school are added to the Student Art Gallery. A reception was held prior to the School Board meeting to honor the following artists whose work is now on display:
Madison Primary School William Wetsel Middle School
Tylee Coates Renee Hall-Andujar
Susanna Brockman Gracie Jenkins
Ayvah Phipps Anna Ryder
Ada Carter Stephanie Walrond
Waverly Yowell Elementary School Madison County High School
Hailey Clatterbuck Morgan McClelland
Alayna Payne Jenna Helme
Hallie Jenkins Bryanna Smith
Nick Galasso Sydney Minger
Fifth grader Joey Johnson was also recognized for placing third in the Virginia School Boards Association (VSBA) Art Contest that was held in March 2016.
Annual Review , Long Range Plan
Dr. Eberhardt reviewed the Long-Range Plan check list with the School Board. The Long-Range Plan is divided into the following four categories: Citizenship & Community, Curricula & Achievement, Safety & Health, and Staff & Staff Development.
Energy Performance Contracting Services
Finance Director Tina Cropp and Dr. Eberhardt provided a brief overview of energy performance contracting services. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development provide the following definition: “Energy performance contracting is an innovative financing technique that uses cost savings from reduced energy consumption to repay the cost of installing energy conservation measures.” This process is currently being strongly supported by Governor McAuliffe and the division is investigating to see if opportunities exist for Madison County Public Schools to use this method to provide additional upgrades to our infrastructure.
The following items were presented to the Board as information:
- The Special Education Annual Plan for the 2016-2017 school year.
- Policy Updates for Policy JGD/JGE: Student Suspension/Expulsion and the accompanying regulations.
The following items were approved by the Board:
- Approved School Board Policies BBFA: Conflict of Interests & Disclosure of Economic Interest; CLA: Reporting Acts of Violence & Substance Abuse; GCBE: Family and Medical Leave; IIAA: Textbook Selection, Adoption & Purchase; IKH: Retaking SOL Assessments; JBA: Section 504 Nondiscrimination Policy & Complaint Procedures.
- Approved the Perkins Plan for Career and Technical Education for the 2016-2017 school year.
- Released one individual from compulsory attendance for religious exemption purposes.
- Approved personnel to include appointments, substitute appointments, resignations, retirements and licensed re-appointments.
The School Board will conduct a work session on Thursday, April 28, 2016, at 6:00 p.m., at the School Board Office.
The next regular School Board meeting is scheduled for Monday, May 9, 2016, at Madison County High School auditorium. Teaching, Learning & Caring awards, along with the Teacher-of-the-Year award will be presented.