Learner's Permit Information
At the DMV customer service center:
- the student must prove that they are 15 years and 6 months old
- pass a vision test
- provide DMV approved documents to prove residency and identity, http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#applying_learners.asp
- take a picture
- pay the fee for the learner’s permit and driver’s license.
If you have any questions with the process, please contact DMV by phone at (804) 497-7100.
Behind the Wheel Information
The steps for doing behind the wheel are as follows:
- On your own:
- Obtain your learner’s permit through the DMV. The earliest age this can be done is 15 years and 6 months. Please review the DMV website for all documents that are needed in order to obtain this.
- Students must document 45 hours of practice driving with a licensed driver, with a minimum of 15 of those hours occurring at night. (45-hour Parent-Teen Driving Guide)
- Through the school
- Complete the driver education class offered as part of H/PE II as part of the curriculum. DEC-1, commonly referred to as green cards, CANNOT be issued until the final grade is submitted.
- Upon completion of the class send Mr. Arrington an email with a picture of your learner’s permit. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- This is usually completed in a few days as information is needed and a signature by an administrator is needed as well.
- Pick up the certificate at the main office of the high school with Mrs. Farmer during regular school hours.
- Please note the hours during summer as they may not be Monday-Friday.
- Behind the Wheel
- In order to sign up with the school you need to complete the Google Form with a MCHS student email account.
- You will be placed in order of the date you can obtain your license.
- Once it is your turn you will be contacted by either Mr. Arrington or the instructor.
- The cost for behind the wheel is $100 upon completion of the course, 7 driving periods. Checks should be made out to Madison County High School.
- If you prefer to use an outside private company I have provided some local companies for you.