Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC)
The Local SEAC functions are established in Virginia regulations. These functions are cited from 8VAC 20-80-90 of the Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia, effective March 27, 2002.
The functions of the local advisory committee shall be as follows:
– Advise the local school division of unmet needs in the education of children with disabilities;
– Assist the school division in the formulation and development of plans for improving performance of children with disabilities;
– Participate in the development of priorities and strategies for meeting the identified needs of children with disabilities;
– To submit periodic reports and recommendations regarding the education of students with disabilities to the division superintendent for transmission to the local school board;
– To assist the school division in interpreting plans to the community for meeting the special needs of children with disabilities for educational services;
– Review policies and procedures for the provision of special education and related services prior to the submission to the local school board and the Virginia’s Department of Education
Madison County Public Schools invites all parents, guardians, and interested citizens to attend SEAC meetings to participate in or to find support with. Meetings are held at the Madison School Board Office, room 18, from 6:00- 7:00 p.m. For more information, please see SEAC flyer on website, or please call Jeanette Alexander, Supervisor of Student Services at 948-3780 ext. 5112.