School Counseling Program
Waverly Yowell Elementary School has a comprehensive School Counseling program that is aligned with Virginia and National School Counseling standards.
1. Our School Counselor, Mrs. Keys, teaches monthly school counseling lessons incorporating the ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors for Student Success.
2. This year’s School Counseling theme is Together We Are STRONG! This theme will incorporate teaching the “Growth Mindset” school wide, strengthening what students learned last year about strengths, not yets and perseverance.
3. Incorporating a superhero theme, students will be taught that each of us has personal strengths and weaknesses. With practice, grit, and perseverance students can strengthen their weaknesses (growth mindset) and truly be strong!
4. Classes will be recognized each 9 weeks by the specials teachers, based on displaying our school wide expectations.
5. Throughout the school year special weeks are set aside to practice and strengthen specific character traits. They are as follows:
Red Ribbon Week is a national initiative that focuses on making good choices and leading a healthy lifestyle. WYES will celebrate Red Ribbon Week Oct. 29-Nov. 2.
Acts of Kindness Week is a national initiative focusing on practicing acts of kindness for others and is celebrated Feb. 10-16.